Monday, December 31, 2007

My New Year's Resolutions

Everyone needs something to strive for and bloggers are no different, so I composed this list of New Year's Resolutions. These are just a few of the food and drink oriented goals I hope to accomplish in the coming year.


Go for Indian in Artesia


Artesia is home to a large South Asian community and countless Indian restaurants. I've never dipped in and it's time to start.


Get to Know Brandy


I'm fluent in whiskey and at least conversant in most other spirits, but I'm a brandy ignoramus. Yes, I admit it, I can't tell my Cognac from my Armagnac. Lately, I've been sipping some on the sly, and it's a whole world of flavor. It's high time I filled this massive gap in my liquid education. Too bad there isn't a day of the week that begins with B.


Eat East LA


I've sampled East LA's Mexican scene, but I'm still a stranger on Whittier Boulevard and haven't been to some of the most famed establishments. And I call myself an LA food blogger...go east young blogger.


Go to Seven Grand


A bar in downtown LA specializing in whiskey and I haven't been...it's downright embarrassing.


Find the Best Banh Mi in the OC


I love everything about the Vietnamese sandwich. The crusty bread, the salt of the meat, the crunch of the vegetables, the creamy pate. It's time to break out of Mr. Lee's grip and get to know the small-time players.


Explore Macallan


I've always sort of shunned Macallan. I like smoky, flavorful, complex whiskies. What do I need with a pumped up, overpriced sherry spiked Speysider. But recently, I had the opportunity to sit down with a few Macs and I thought, maybe there is something to all this hype. It's time for me to go back to basics and revisit this ubiquitous malt.


More Korean Food


As I was enjoying some pork blood sausage at the Koreatown Galleria foodcourt (Reason #8 why I love this town: blood sausage at the mall), I thought, for a Koreatown blogger, I really don't review much Korean food. There are numerous reasons for this. First, living in the neighborhood, most of my Korean food experiences are casual...parties, back yard barbecues, school events for the kids, etc. Second, with Bon Vivant and Raven doing regular Korean restaurant reports, I feel like the pressure is off in that department. Still, I owe it to my 'hood to show some pride in the local cuisine, so this I will try to do.



Will I keep my resolutions? Who knows? I'll have at least as much chance as keeping my non-food resolutions like exercising and leaving less of carbon footprint.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you're eating in East LA, try Il Capriccio's amazing pizza. I wish they were just around the corner from me, although it's probably good that they're not because I'd be eating there way too often. They're at 4518 Hollywood Blvd, easy walking distance from the Vista if you're in the mood for a movie as well.

Thanks for the blog shout-out! I'll be looking forward to your Korean eating adventures and hoping you discover some gems I can try as well.

Happy New Year!

Bon Vivant said...

Raven, you are such a Westsider! :-) I think that he means East LA as in City Terrace, Evergreen Street, and beyond. There was a famous place in Whittier that I've always wanted to go to that sells "Puffy" tacos - don't know if they are good but they are (were?) world famous.

Mr. Lee's while good is my least favorite banh mi place. What I love about the OC places is that you can order a ton of food, plus an iced coffee, and you'll probably never pay more than $6.