Wednesday, February 25, 2009

RIP Fassica

It's hard times, no doubt about it. Restaurants, especially small, family owned spots that operate at a low profit margin, are always economically vulnerable, and in this economic climate, we can expect there will be casualties. But that doesn't make it easy.

It is with great sadness that I report the closing of LA's best Ethiopian restaurant, Fassica in Culver City. Fassica was one of my favorite restaurants of any genre. The proprietors excelled at the spicy lentils, rich shiro and flavorful stewed meats that make up Ethiopian cuisine, all to be tucked away with hands full of slightly sour, homemade injera. Ethiopian has always felt like comfort food to me, and nowhere was it more comfortable than at Fassica. I was so excited when I found it in all its homespun glory, now I suppose I will saunter back to Fairfax and revisit the more popular but less refined cuisine of that strip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came across you blog post. Fassica is now an online eCommerce site providing high quality ethiopian food and spices. You can find more information at Fassica.com The site is owned by the same people, Chef Sebel.
Thanks,
Sebel