Sunday, September 6, 2009

Mozza on the Home Front: Mozza2Go

I've dined once each at Pizzeria Mozza and Osteria Mozza, and while I enjoyed the food, the hassle of trying to wrangle a reservation has, thus far, been too much to lure me back. All of that changed with the recent opening of Mozza2Go, the new, take-out arm of the Pizzeria.

Operating out of a little storefront on Melrose adjacent to the Osteria, Mozza2Go offers a stripped down version of the Pizzeria menu. A recent visit confirmed my previous assertion that the pizza is good, but the most amazing tastes can be found elsewhere on the menu. In this case, the dish that warmed my innards was the chicken liver bruschetta with capers, parsley & guanciale, a spruced up version of chopped liver on a cracker topped with bacon. The chopped liver had a liberal spritz of citrus which cut the richness perfectly, and the guanciale added salty, porky notes which gave it the perfect balance of richness, salt and acid, and a beautiful contrast of mushy liver and crunchy pork fat.

Also excellent was Mario's Lasagna. This was one of the richest lasagnas I've ever had. I'm not sure what they use to get that effect, possibly veal, maybe some livers, but it is rich and creamy and wonderful, though pricey at $21 for a modest serving.

And yes, they do have the butterscotch budino on the take out menu.

Even more enticing is that fact that they deliver, and to a wide area. I was shocked that they my Koreatown abode was within their delivery zone. Not even Village Pizza in Larchmont, which is 5 minutes away, will deliver east of Western.

So kudos to Mozza for this stroke of brilliance. At last, chicken liver bruschetta with guanciale on my couch!

Mozza2Go
6610 Melorse Ave. (park in the Mozza lot on Highland)
Los Angeles, CA 90038
(323) 297-1130

No comments: