Thursday, December 1, 2011

More LDI Rye: Willett Three Year Old Rye

It's funny to think that only five years ago there was literally no way for Americans to taste whiskey from LDI. Now it seems that a week doesn't go by without a new release of LDI whiskey.

LDI is, of course, Lawrenceburg Distillers Indiana. Located right across the river from Kentucky, LDI is a huge distillery but they distill on a contract only basis, so they don't release any of their own whiskey. Formerly a Seagram's distillery, LDI is currently owned by the financially troubled Angostura, which is in the process of selling it to Midwest Grain Products, a maker of neutral spirits.

If you've had Templeton Rye, Redemption Rye or Bulleit Rye, then you've had LDI rye. It's very seldom marketed as such, but there are clues. "Product of Indiana" on the label is a big giveaway. And in press releases for a new sourced bourbon or rye from a bottler, if they don't mention Kentucky explicitly, LDI is a pretty good guess.

Now Kentucky Bourbon Distillers (KBD), the biggest independent bottler of American Whiskey, has their own LDI rye, a three year old released under the Willett label. There are a few different versions of this out there which range in abv. This one comes in at 55%.

Willett Rye, 3 years old, Single Barrel (Barrel 6), 55% abv ($36)

The nose is what I've come to expect from young LDI ryes, strong rye notes, pickle juice, caraway. The palate is a huge mint bomb with plenty of spice and pine. It's a good sock-you-in-the-face rye. The only real flaw is a touch of unpleasant bitterness on the finish.

I liked this better than a lot of the young LDI rye I've had. I appreciate that KBD bottled it at cask strength which is likely what makes it more interesting than many of the more watered down LDI ryes on the market. It's a fun one, at a good price, that's worth a try.

10 comments:

SteveBM said...

Any idea what LDI mashbill this one is?

sku said...

Steve, LDI has three bourbon mashbills but only one straight rye mashbill: 95% rye, 5% malted barley.

sam k said...

Ten "straight" days of posting about nothing but American whiskeys (and America's mpst singular holiday)! Ya-hoooooo!

sku said...

Thanks Sam...USA, USA, USA!

We will continue next week with two more American whiskeys on Sunday and then hop across the pond.

Florin said...

Sku, I find myself agreeing with you again. I didn't care much for Redemption Rye or Bulleit Rye -- I found them too high-pitched and rough, both of them screaming "mix me", especially Redemption. But I very much liked the Wilett 3yo. I appreciated too the cask strength. You taste a drop and let it bloom in your mouth. I'm itching to open the next bottle! Have you tried its successor, the Willet 4yo? I'm curious if the extra year made a difference...

sku said...

Haven't tried the Willett 4 yet, but based on the 3, I'd be interested. Maybe I'll hunt down a bottle.

SteveBM said...

Dah! *smacks head*

Thanks

Ryan Murphy said...

I just got a bottle of the Willet 4 year at 55% and it's excellent. It's exactly what I've been waiting for -- Bulleit Rye at a higher proof. It's fantastic neat, and although I've yet to mix it, I know it will make a fantastic cocktail. Honestly, I wish they'd release this stuff at 120-130 proof to allow for more options, but it's certainly delicious at 110.

sku said...

Thanks Ryan, I think I'll have to check that one out.

Jason Beatty said...

I have tried this Willett Rye from a barrel they picked and I have to say I was impressed and to think it was only aged 3 years.