Sunday, April 15, 2012

Competitive Mandoo at Olympic Noodle


I've never been a huge fan of Korean dumplings or mandoo. The typical mandoo is a huge things with an overly glutinous dough and a flavorless filling of ground meat and vegetables. I'd been meaning to head to Olympic Noodle for a while to try the chicken noodle soop (gook soo) and mandoo.

The mandoo are available boiled, pan fried or steamed. We got some steamed and pan fried and some boiled in soup. They were smaller than the usual mandoo, which is a good thing as it improves the filling to wrapper ratio, and the filling actually had flavor. I enjoyed both the steamed and fried versions. While these were by far the best mandoo I've had, they still didn't even come close to the average quality of Chinese dumplings I can get in the San Gabriel Valley, so it was hard for me to get too excited. When it comes to dumplings, I'm just not hot on mandoo, but if you're going to eat them, eat them at Olympic Noodle.

The gook soo consisted of a nice rich broth with a good dose of garlic which came to life with a sprinkle of salt. The hand pulled noodles were good but a bit on the soft side.

Olympic Noodle
4008 W. Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90019
(323) 931-0007

No comments: