Monday, May 27, 2013

Pastry Love at Cooks County


This Beverly Boulevard farm to table operation opened last year.  I stopped by for brunch on a Saturday, and the pastries alone were worth the trip.  The pastry basket isn't actually a basket; it's a tray, but the day I went it came with a fresh jelly doughnut, a blueberry muffin, a cheese biscuit and a ginger scone.  These were all excellent, but the scone impressed me the most.  Never have I had a scone that was so flaky, so melt in the mouth delicious.  The doughnut was slightly larger than a golf ball and stuffed with a thick, nicely tart strawberry rhubarb jam.

The baked goods also shined as part of the breakfast entrees.  The baked pancake is a unique and delicious beast, a puffy pancake with crisp edges and a light and fluffy center emphasizing the "cake" in pancake.

The house made bagel was delicious, though a bit hard on the outside, but the smoked trout it was served with was bland.

Overall, the sweet outshined the savory, but most everything was good.  I went back for lunch, and definitely enjoyed it, but nothing was quite as great as their various brunch pastries.

Cook's County
8009 Beverly Blvd. 
Los Angeles, CA 90048
(323) 653-8009

2 comments:

Florin said...

Sku, just curious, when is the last time you got a comment on your actual recent eats? :) But hey, don't let that stop you!

sku said...

Well, Florin, that would be yours right here. Seriously though, I get a comment or two per food entry. There was a time when this was a food blog and even though it's a whiskey blog now, I pay occasional tribute to my heritage. And there are actually people who ask me for more food entries.