Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Amrut Two Continents


Amrut is, of course, an Indian single malt distillery.  This malt merits the name "Two Continents" because they distilled it in India, aged it in second fill bourbon casks and then sent it to a "secret location" in Europe (I'm guessing Estonia) for its final two years of aging.  This is the second edition which was first released in fall 2011 but is still on some shelves.

Amrut Two Continents, 2nd edition, 50% abv ($100)

The nose is very light and malty with white grape juice notes.  The palate is malty with sweet white wine.  The finish is back to a sweeter, grape juice note.

This is a nice, very straightforward malt, dominated by sweet, malty notes, at a nice strength.  I'm not sure how enhanced it is by the secret European location, but it's good stuff.

Thanks to that guy with the annoying opinions for the sample.


5 comments:

My Annoying Opinions said...

You are very welcome. My own review, far more verbose than yours, is here. We both got the malt as the dominant note, but what you identified as white grape juice (which I don't know) I seem to have described as citrus/honey.

Steffen said...

I think the 2nd edition was matured on Helgoland, but not 100% sure

Steffen

My Annoying Opinions said...

I thought it was the Herald that was matured on Helgoland.

Steffen said...

Yes thats right

My bet is Ex-arran casks then maruted at Bladnoch or something like that

I am going to some dim parts of my memory so not 100% sure, but at one point I saw a photo from a danish importer selling used casks (EMPTY) and one of them was an arran (I think), with a stapled label saying Amrut (I am sure)

Steffen

Steffen said...

maruted=matured