Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Whiskey Wednesday: Sazerac Rye


Sazerac Rye comes from my favorite American distillery: Buffalo Trace. Primarily known for bourbon, this Kentucky distillery also makes rye. Their Sazerac line includes a six year old and an 18 year old.

I tried the six year old, known affectionately as "Baby Saz" to admirers, and as I have come to expect from anything made by Buffalo Trace, it was fantastic. This is a very understated rye. The rye spice is subtle and lurking beneath a smooth veneer. It's quite a contrast to the Old Potrero I sampled last week with its strong spicy rye flavor. Sazerac is much more approachable and probably a good rye to start with as a beginner. (Extra points for a cool bottle with the long neck).

Like most Buffalo Trace products, it's hard to find in California. I stumbled on this bottle at Bristol Farms, for $26.99, but it was the last one on the shelf.

Next Wednesday: Rittenhouse 100

No comments: