Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Whiskey Wednesday: A Rye That Comes in Handy


Okay, bad pun, but a good whiskey! Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey is an offering from the antiques collection of the Buffalo Trace distillery. Unfiltered and bottled at barrel strength (my bottle is 67.4% abv), Handy is essentially the cask strength version of Baby Saz.

Tasting this rye reaffirms my beliefs that Buffalo Trace is one of the best distilleries out there and that the rye comeback is in full swing.

Handy has huge flavor. It has a beautiful, intense ryeness along with some honey-like sweetness and caramel creating a wonderful whiskey, at once spicy and sweet. And its finish just keeps on giving rye-spice. It's strong yes, and I suppose it could take some water, but I preferred it at full strength. This will be added to my list of all-time favorite ryes, a distinguished list indeed.

I purchased my bottle for around $55 at K&L, though I don't know if they are still in stock as anything from the Buffalo Trace antiques collection flies off the shelves.

No comments: