Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Whiskey Wednesday: Born in the USA Part 6 -- Very Old Barton

I'm enjoying this Born in the USA series so much that I'm going to double it. I had originially intended to go through five American whiskies, but I'm having so much fun, I think I'll do nine or ten.

All this American whiskey is well and good, but what do they drink in Kentucky, the hub of US whiskey production? Well, one of the things they drink is Very Old Barton. It's one of the best selling Bourbons in Kentucky, but it's nearly impossible to find outside of Kentucky and its vicinity. There are four expressions, all six years old, at varying proofs: 80, 86, 90 and 100. (You will recall from our series on whiskey label terms that the proof equals double the alcohol percentage or abv).

On a trip to Tennessee, a colleague picked up the 100 proof version for me (it pays to have friends who travel).


Tasting

Very Old Barton, 6 years old, 50% alcohol (Barton Distilling) $13 (Cheap!).

The nose is very crisp and clear, Bourbon and spice with fruit as well. Very nice. The taste is a good follow up. Sweet with a fair amount of oak. The flavor is very distinct and different from what I'm used to. Complex, though not very smooth. The quirky, complex flavor keeps me coming back for more. It actually has more complexity than many higher priced Bourbons, and it is much better than others in its low price range.

What a deal for those lucky folks in Bourbon country.

No comments: