Sunday, March 1, 2009

Skip the Burger and Go Straight to the Cupcakes: Bouchees Bistro in Long Beach

Bouchees Bistro is a Father's Office style burger pub right next to the Blue Line stop on Long Beach Boulevard and Sixth Street in Long Beach.

I wasn't excited by the burger, which comes with your choice of upscale toppings and condiments. I did love their version of the now mandatory sweet potato fries which were nice and crispy and had the perfect sweet and salty contrast.

The secret of Bouchee's is that they have what may be, with the demise of Leda's, the best cupcakes in Los Angeles County. Far from the giant sugar bombs available at places like Crumbs and Sprinkles, Bouchees cupcakes are simple; moist flavorful cakes are topped with a lighter-than-air buttercream frosting that I just can't get enough of.

They make only one kind of cupcake per day, but each one I've had has been a gem. Strawberry had chunks of strawberry in the cake and a lovely, strawberry tinged buttercream. Mocha was probably my favorite with a great coffee flavor, but I also loved the Butterfinger which a sprinkling of the candy mixed in.

I'll eat the burgers, I like the fries and they also make a good homemade gelato (again, only one flavor per day), but these days, I just go to pick up cupcakes.


Bouchees Bistro
515 long beach blvd
long beach, CA 90802
(562) 951-8222

No comments: