Sunday, August 22, 2010

RIP Dumpling Master

Restaurants come and restaurants go, and that's life, but I'm deeply saddened by the closure of Dumpling Master in Monterey Park. I can't count the number of times I stopped in (or took home) their great lamb dishes and dumplings: the nicely sour Napa soup, the gamey boiled lamb dumplings, the crisply fried pork dumplings and the lamb chow mein with hand pulled noodles and succulent, juicy strips of lamb. Sure it wasn't the cleanest restaurant around, and yes, I'd noticed some decline in quality of late, but it still had a lot going for it. The only solace is that at least there are lots of other dumpling houses in the San Gabriel Valley and a handful of other Northern Chinese places that have good lamb dishes. I'll take any recommendations starting now.

RIP Dumpling Master. You will be missed.

3 comments:

Daily Gluttony said...

Oh no...really?! OK, I haven't gone here in a couple years (and yes, I agree the quality has declined) but Dumpling Master holds a lot of fond memories: my late father always liked to go here for lunch when he'd visit me in SoCal. RIP, indeed.

glutster said...

awh :(

used to get some takeout vegetarian rice in lotus leaf wraps here almost weekly last year.

It was the only place that I knew had them too--

number one rule of foodblogging Zen:

Free yourself from all restaurant attachments :(

sku said...

Thanks for your comments DG; I have a lot of great memories of DM as well; it was that kind of place.

Gluster, I never even tried the vegetarian lotus rice, but they did have some good vegetarian dishes. There was a pot herb with tofu and edamame that I really liked.