Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tales of a Fourth Grade Food Critic

I have occasionally allowed my daughter to make an appearance on the blog, so when she told me she wanted to do a review of her school lunches, I was game. So what are the food options like for a fourth grader in LAUSD? The following was written entirely by my nine year old daughter, and I promise that I did not edit it in any way except for correcting spelling and punctuation.


Cafeteria Food

Many people would think that cafeteria food is gross but it actually depends on what you try. I would normally avoid anything with cheese unless you like eating slime. White cheese is okay but I wouldn't eat it. If you think pizza sounds good, I never tasted it but it smells and looks horrid. The same goes for macaroni and cheese. Normally you shouldn't eat anything that doesn't smell good. Mystery meat (brown meat that tastes like cardboard) is bad too.

Cafeteria food isn't always bad. Spaghetti and meatballs are good. They are the second best meatballs I've ever had. Cantaloupe and honeydew are really good. Ham and cheese sandwiches are good if you scrape the cheese off. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are pretty good but they don't have enough jelly. Chocolate milk is okay but don't drink too much! Hamburgers are great; so are chicken sandwiches. They are juicy and tender. Fish nuggets are good too I like them because they are not too fishy. Cafeteria food is overall okay if you come on the right day.


Los Angeles Unified School District
Elementary Cafeterias (multiple locations)

2 comments:

sam k said...

Nice effort! Sounds like you have this down to a science, but I think I'd rather pack my own linch, considering the mine field you walk through every day.

Man, it's not good when you've gotta scrape the cheese off!

Uncle Vit said...

Thanks, I will try to remember not to drink too much chocolate milk.