Friday, April 11, 2014

This Week in COLAs - The New Woodford Master's Collection & Kentucky Slush


This week in COLAs saw the approval of a label for the newest Woodford Reserve Master's Collection release which will be a triple distilled bourbon finished in Sonoma-Cutrer Pinot Noir barrels.  This, of course, hearkens back to the 2007 Woodford Reserve Master's release finished in Sonoma-Cutrer Chardonnay barrels. (Woodford's parent company, Brown Forman, owns the Sonoma-Cutrer winery).

And if you're looking for something a bit more Slurpee like, look nor further than Evan Williams Kentucky Slush "with the taste of lemonade, orange juice and sweet tea."  It's labeled as bourbon "with natural flavors and caramel color" and it's "ready to freeze or pour!"

The big question is...which of these will be better?


10 comments:

tanstaafl2 said...

Sadly, passed on the prior Masters Collection Sonoma-Cutrer Chardonnay bottle, it seems entirely possible the nasty sounding Slush could be! I think I will pass on this years Woodford offering at least until I have a chance to try it first.

Anonymous said...

The obvious answer is Kentucky Slush.

Anonymous said...

Brown-Forman leads the industry in pioneering expensive ways to make mediocre Bourbon taste like cheap blended Canadian whisky.

sku said...

Brown-Forman leads the industry in pioneering expensive ways to make mediocre Bourbon taste like cheap blended Canadian whisky.

I'm gonna' steal that quote. And since, you're anonymous, I won't even credit you. ;)

Anonymous said...

No prob:) Long time reader's should give back.

Justin said...

Sku, do these guys hate you for spilling the beans about their new releases before they get a chance to do so?

sku said...

I'm not sure how they feel or if most of them even know Justin. I've never had much reaction from producers. Drew from KBD actually just respond to a Tweet I did about a new label they put out, saying, "guess that's our official press release." And the year after I first outed Ardbeg's special release, they put out a very early press statement for the new one with a side remark about how you can find many things on the internet, but those are the only times I've come close to having one of the producers reference my "work" on this subject.

Of course, I'm not doing anything but linking to US government documents that are available to anyone with an internet connections, so they can't really complain too much.

Anonymous said...

Please be realistic, and don't sully the good name of cheap Canadian blended whisky by associating it with wine-finished bourbon.

Justin said...

Sadly though, woodford has disappointed me too many times to think I'm gonna drop a c-note on another master collection bottle. I enjoy Jack Daniels more than any of the master collections. This one may be their best yet. But I'm not going to fish out a diamond floating in a toilet full of turds. Sorry woodford.

Anonymous said...

Since Sonoma-Cutrer's wines are bog-standard chain steakhouse and grocery store swill then there's no reason to assume that this bourbon shouldn't live down to its standards.