Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Help Me Figure this Out: Bright Kitchen Article

So I'm wondering if any of you can help me identify this implement. I received it as a gift from my mother-in-law, who bought it in Japan. It's a steel utensil about the size of a kitchen knife. It is slightly bulb shaped on one end and stretches into a long tear drop shape on the other. It looks a little bit like a long, flat metal Q-tip or maybe a cuticle pusher.

There is very little English on the package. The company appears to be "Stylish Cutlery," and the product seems to be called "Bright Kitchen Article." It also notes "stainless steel," and "Made in Japan." That's it for the English.

So, what is this thing? Can anyone help me out?

UPDATE: Thanks to Yuki (see the comments) for pointing me in the right direction. Apparently, this is a cocktail stirrer, what we would probably call a bar spoon. Thanks Yuki, time to mix up some cocktails.


oddlyme said...

Wow. I... uh.... Wow.

Back scratcher? Really long shrimp deveiner?

Can't wait to find out!

Yuki said...

I happens to be a Japanese.
It's a cocktail stirrer. You use the bottom end usually. You could use it to mix something in a tall glass. In Japanese, we call it "Muddler"(That's what it says at the top of the package), but I think its meaning in English is little different.

sku said...

Thanks Yuki! So it's a bar spoon sort of thing?

Someone else emailed me that the Japanese translates to "cutlery that makes your cooking more colorful."

sam k said...

Yeah, and a damn stylish one, too!

Yuki said...

I would say, the Japanese on the side translates more accurately to "cutlery which makes your everyday table more stylish".
And it just is a thing to use when you are mixing drinks in a glass instead of using a chopstick or something.(we tend to do this at home and it doesn't look stylish at all).

James said...

interesting, although it surprises me that the japanese have/use this tool considering its low utility to space/bulk ratio.