Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Whiskey Wednesday: Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit

I haven't reviewed a Turkey in a while, so I thought I'd give Kentucky Spirit a spin. It's Wild Turkey's single barrel bourbon at 101 proof.

Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, 50.5% abv ($45)

The nose is syrupy sweet, candy corn, caramel and toffee. The palate is less candy and has a nice richness to it with a good dose of wood, and a bit of a perfumy quality. There's a nice long finish with a good balance of sweetness and wood.

Choosing between this and Wild Turkey's Rare Breed, which is a bit cheaper, I'd probably take the Rare Breed which has such great balance, but this is a decent bourbon as well.

3 comments:

Greg said...

Steve - WTKS was my go to bourbon for many, many years; a bottle I would purchase for myself on my birthday. I've since moved on to other bourbons but do keep a WTKS in the bunker for those times I want to remember earlier days when I was younger, thinner and not so bald.

Chuck Cowdery said...

The only thing I don't like about Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit is that before they were added to the line, 101 was better than it is now.

sku said...

So now they take their best stuff and put it in Rare Breed and Kentucky Spirit (and presumably Russel's as well)?