Sunday, October 14, 2007

Isigny Ste. Mere Butter

Among my favorite butters is Isigny Ste. Mere, cultured butter from Normandy. Normandy butter is the creme de la creme of butter, and among those available in the US, Isigny Ste. Mere is the best I've had.

I've tasted a number of their varieties, including a special butter made in spring, when the cows of Normandy apparently feast on flowers. I wouldn't say the result tasted floral, but it certainly had grassy components.

I recently picked up a tub of their standard unsalted butter. It is as creamy and rich as any butter I've had. I enjoyed it on crusty bread topped with a few sprinkles of Maldon Salt or as my daughter calls it, the salt that Daddy gets in the mail. The wonderful crunchy flakes and light saltiness of Maldon goes perfectly with the crusty bread and silky smooth butter.

Bread-butter-salt, is there any better combination?

Isigny Ste. Mere butter is sporadically available at the various gourmet stores in Southern California. I've seen it at Whole Foods, Surfas and Bristol Farms though it does not seem to be consistently in stock at any of those stores.

1 comment:

Bon Vivant said...

Scotch tasting alert: perfect for Whiskey Wednesdays, a Scotch tasting at Heritage Wines in Pasadena on 10/17,