Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Whiskey Wednesday: Japanese Whisky Part 1

If you are mostly a Scotch or Bourbon drinker, you might not know that there are some great whiskies being made in Japan. Yes, Japan.

Japan has a whisky tradition going back to the 1920s. Japanese whisky is in the Scotch style, meaning it is generally made from 100% malted barley and has a taste similar to Scotch.

The only downside to Japanese whisky is that very little of it is available in the US. In fact, the only two bottles I've ever seen here are the 12 and 18 year olds from Suntory's Yamazaki distillery. Both are excellent and I will discuss them more next week, but they only scratch the surface of what's available.

Lucky for me, I have a friend who visits Japan often and supplies me with a fairly regular supply of Japanese whiskey (at least a few bottles per year), which I'll also discuss in the next couple of weeks.

If you are interested in Japanese whisky and especially if you have a contact in Japan, you must, must, must check out Nonjatta, the Japanese whiskey blog. There is simply no better English language source for information on Japanese whisky.

Next Wedensday: Suntory's Yamazaki

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the endorsement. I like you blog too!

sku said...

Thanks Nonjatta. In the next weeks I'm going to stumble into your territory (though not with your level of detail) with a brief look at the Yamazakis available in the US and some Ichiros (15 and 20) I got from Japan.