Thursday, March 27, 2008

American Samoas

Among the wonderful foods that remind me of spring are strawberries, cream eggs, Easter ham, matzoh ball soup, and...Girl Scout cookies, especially delectable Samoas. There is really no earthly reason why I should like these little coconut-caramel-shortbread rings, drizzled, as they are, with waxy, flavorless fake chocolate. But there is something about them that I just can't resist, and I go through box after box.

And why are they called Samoas? Do they claim some Polynesian ancestry? Is it because of the coconut? Did they name them by spinning a globe and randomly stopping it with a finger? Ah, but I suppose the mystery is part of their allure.

I buy mine at the Hollywood Farmers Market, where the Girl Scout stand looks strangely out of place with its packaged, mass produced cookies among the organic arugula and varietal strawberries.

Get 'em while you can.

No comments: