Sunday, April 3, 2011

Proving Ground: Proof Bakery

Proof Bakery is a little Atwater Village bakery/cafe. I stopped by the other day to check it out. The baked goods are all very nice. A chocolate chip cookie was very good, buttery and chewy with big chunks of dark chocolate. The flourless chocolate torte was light and airy, almost souffle like, and a gougere was a nice little bite of fluffy, cheesy goodness.

In addition, they call their coffee service Cognoscenti Coffee. I'm not sure why the coffee has a different name when they appear to be part of the same establishment, like any other bakery/cafe, but there you go. The coffee is what has become the pretty standard third-wave cup - lightly roasted, just a bit tannic, latte art. There is perhaps a bit too much milk in the cappuccino, but they also have a cortado, which has more milk than a macchiato but less than a cappuccino. I wonder how many new drink names we can come up with to describe the varying espresso to milk ratio; you would think at least thirty, right?

Overall, everything at Proof/Cognoscenti is well done and tasty, though none of it is so exciting or so different from other bakery/cafes that I would go out of my way for it. It's certainly a welcome addition to the Atwater Village commercial strip and I'm sure I'll stop in whenever I'm there.

Proof Bakery
3156 Glendale Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90039
(323) 664-8633

No comments: