Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Calumet Farm Bourbon: Don't Buy the Farm!


This is something I picked up on a lark.  It's an independently bottled, no age statement Kentucky bourbon. The label is owned by Western Spirits out of Bowling Green, Kentucky, and it's bottled by Three Springs Bottling Company, also in Bowling Green.  Normally I wouldn't bother with a no-name sourced whiskey, but this stuff seems to be widely available, and these days, that's saying something.  It's my dream to find one of these easy to find bourbons that's actually really good.  That being said, I only noticed after I purchased it that it is not labeled "straight" bourbon, which likely means that it is very young or at least contains some very young bourbon.


Calumet Farm Bourbon, 43% abv ($50)

The nose has some floral notes as well as some alcohol fumes.  The palate is very light but has some sweet candy bourbon notes with banana.  The finish is sweet and slightly medicinal.  It's not bad, but it tastes like a decent bourbon that's been watered down way to much.

This seems to be the case of a company dumping some mediocre, sourced whiskey into a pretty bottle and hoping people will shell out $50 for it...which I did.  Based on flavor and the odds, this is most likely Heaven Hill, but standard Evan Williams black label is better than this at a fraction of the price.


20 comments:

Justin said...

That having been said, how much better is a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel or Elijah Craig 12? Both are still less than half the price of this gem.

Clay Risen said...

Thanks, Steve. I've been eyeing this at my local store, and wondering if I shouldn't just pull the trigger to satisfy my curiosity. And then you went and did it for me. (Though, being one not to learn his lesson, I will probably still buy it some day.)

sam k said...

Thanks for taking one for the team, Sku!

Anonymous said...

SKU - funny, I take solace that an expert like you got suckered.....makes me feel better about a few of my sucker buys

jonnyd said...

And to think said swill is going into a bottle with the name and likeness of the legendary Calumet Thoroughbred Farm in Kentucky. How low can you go to make a buck!

forego is my witness said...

Sku and Lloyd Christmas are two perfect examples of reviewers who have no agenda other than to bring honesty to a too-quickly-expanding bourbon world sadly becoming more overrun with labeling shenanigans and obfuscation. Thanks for always shooting straight!

Anonymous said...

Pass on this watered down expensive whiskey

Anonymous said...

If this is watered down bourbon i am all for it. I loved it and want more. Great flavor and very smooth

Anonymous said...

Just went out and bought more of this delicious, probably nutritious beverage. Watered down? I doubt it. Pomposity knows no boundary.

Anonymous said...

Evidently my palate is not as mature as some but my taste buds certainly enjoy the Calumet. It may be expensive but aren't most that actually have you saying "damn that's good stuff!"

Mambeu said...

Elijah Craig is much better. I was disappointed with Calumet Farm; it has a cloying hot bite for a finish. $pend your money on something else.

Mambeu said...

buy the 50ml bottle as I did, Caveat emptor

Unknown said...

Hmmm. I actually have been paying about $38 for this an I'm thoroughly enjoying it as a sipping neat bourbon. Very smooth and delicious.

BillE said...

Liked it a lot. Know for a fact the owner of the Bourbon brand and the actual Farm are the same guy. Great thoroughbred farm, great sipping bourbon!!!

ProFred said...

Also purchased this swill on a lark, and SKU review is spot on. This is a blended for sure and my first impression was “astringent”. But then pleasant flavors leapt out as the liquid warmed in my mouth. Sniffing from a long, slender glass the aromas are interesting but subtle. Overall it reminds me of a girl I once knew: pricey for her age, but kinda sexy nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

Watered down bourbon??? Except for cask strength bourbons, all bourbons have water added to bring them down to the desired proof.

Anonymous said...

Just opened a bottle it it ain't bad at all. I agree that you can get a better Bourbon for that money.

Unknown said...

This is, let me be clear, garbage. It tastes like Kessler, or how I remember Kessler tasting thirty years ago. I bought an airline bottle for $3, and feel cheated.

Anonymous said...

I actually work for Bird Dog who makes this. This is our 10+ year. High corn, 18% rye, 8% barley. It goes Lexington 4-8 year blend, Bird Dog small batch 150 barrels 8-10 year blend, Bird Dog Very Small Batch 10 year, 150 barrels 90 proof, then Calumet 10+ year blend because they don't know the exact age of the barrels over 10 years.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. That helps.