Monday, October 22, 2012

Rye Two: Knob Creek Rye


A few years ago, Jim Beam made a play for the high-end rye market with something called (rī)¹ (pronounced "Rye One"). They claimed it would be followed by Rye Two and Three, but that never happened, presumably because sales were not what they imagined. Now, Beam is making another attempt at the premium rye market, this time using its popular and expanding Knob Creek label. Knob Creek Rye carries no age statement and is bottled at 100 proof. We can only assume it includes some of the rye that was previously intended for Rye One...or Two.

I should note that I'm generally not a fan of Beam ryes (or Beam anything really). They tend to be sweet and lacking in spice, which is the note I like most in my rye.


Knob Creek Rye, 50% abv ($37)

The nose on this is typical of Beam ryes, very light with some banana and some soapy notes. The palate is slightly sweet with little rye character. The initial sweetness fades to that slightly banana flavor, which is really more like an artificial banana candy. There's a sort of sweet candy finish.

Well, what can I say? It's a Beam rye. Those banana notes are similar to what I get in Old Overholt, another Beam rye. This does nothing for me. I've always seen Beam ryes as rye for people who don't really like rye, and this one is no different. If you like Overholt or you liked Rye One, give it a try. Otherwise, stay away.

12 comments:

Brendan said...

Agreed. I tried it at WhiskyLive and was immediately disappointed.

Beam doesn't make anything I want to drink at this point. Bummer.

Lazer said...

what about OGD114? Its a beam product, and, its good.

Steve said...

Actually Beam makes a lot of good products, and KC Rye is one of them, as well as OGD 114.

Justin said...

Such negative comments.

I love rye. My favorites include Rittenhouse, Jeffersons, Bulleit, Mastersons....

I found the Knob Creek to be quite a good whiskey.

I guess each of us has certain distilleries that don't do it for us. For me its Four Roses and Woodford Reserve. But I like a number of the Beam whiskies. With a portfolio as extensive as theirs is, there are bound to be some duds, but I don't think Knob Creek Rye is one of them.

Here's to many distilleries putting out a variety of products so we can all enjoy life just a little more each day.

Lazer said...

I found it. And you said you don't like any beam products. I think someone owes Mr. Beam an apology.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2009/02/whiskey-wednesday-whos-your-grand-daddy.html

sku said...

I said I'm "generally not a fan of Beam" and this holds true. Old Grand-Dad 114, which I really like, is the exception, and I don't mind an occasional Booker's either, but that's about it.

Lazer said...

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2010/09/whiskey-wednesday-waxing-eloquent-about.html

hmmm... I found two more that you like, maker's and maker's 46.

So lets see, we have OGD114, Booker's, maker's and M46. That's four different bourbons from beam. I don't know Sku, its starting to look like you're a closet beam lover. Its ok Sku. We still accept you as a worthy whiskey critic even if red stag is your every day pour.

sku said...

Lazer, got me!

Don't forget Laphroaig and Ardmore!

Truly, though, it's the regular Beam mashbill (not the higher rye OGD mashbill or the Maker's wheated mashbill) that I usually don't care for; I can take it at barrel strength in Booker's though it's not my first choice. I despise their ryes.

sam k said...

I'm with you. I don't care for any Beam rye, though I'm glad they continued to make it, or else rye whiskey would have been dramatically closer to extinction before the eventual resurgence.

sku said...

Excellent point Sam. For years Beam and Wild Turkey were the only ones making rye at all, at least with any sort of national availability, so they deserve some credit for that.

sam k said...

Yeah, and I grew up just a few miles from the abandoned Overholt distillery, so the fact that the brand remains, though a shadow of its former self, gives Beam some credibility just for that.

They did, however, have the balls to discontinue it in its home state a couple of years back for some bizarre reason. The drinkers of Pennsylvania wouldn't stand for it, and demanded its return. I don't buy it, but it's good to see Abe's scowling face back on the shelves!

weller_tex said...

Sku, I'd like to see you review James E. Pepper Rye..bottled at 50%, but only $25. It is likely LDI juice, but tastes different than Bulleit and the Willet Ryes. It is a little rough and young, but I think it is fantastic.