Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Calvados Lemorton 25


Lemorton is probably the best known producer in the Domfrontais region of Calvados. Today I'm tasting their highly regarded 25 year old.


Lemorton 25 yo, 40% abv ($125)

This has a beautiful nose with sweet apple notes and some floral notes. The palate is slightly acidic with apple and then spice fading into a spicy finish which develops a nice, light apple note.

The nose on this is the strongest element. The palate is a bit mundane and it feels a bit watery, though it has a nice finish. While $125 is not an unfair price for a 25 year old Calvados, I don't think I would buy a second bottle of this.


7 comments:

My Annoying Opinions said...

You know, Sku, in some ways we are very different people.

sku said...

It does seem that we have different tastes in Calvados.

My Annoying Opinions said...

Yes, mine is good, yours is questionable.

Seriously, the big difference might be that you seem to prefer more wood-driven Calvados. Perhaps this is because you are at base a bourbon drinker.

sku said...

I don't know. I do like some of the woody ones, but I also love Camut which is pure fruit.

James said...

SKU, kudos for handling the obvious trolling so well. Differences in opinions (especially in regards to subjective tastes) should be welcomed, but some people really can't be helped.

Also, as much as I enjoy your liquor posts, I always find your food/restaurant reviews even more helpful, since I travel to SoCal a few times a year. Donuts (Sidecar!), coffee, Korean, and pizza are amongst my favorite foods that you've highlighted for all your readers. Have you ever been to Portillos in Buena Park? As an Italian beef fan (and Chicago native) I can't say enough about it.

sku said...

Thanks for the kind words James. I will definitely have to check out Portillos. It sounds great!

My Annoying Opinions said...

James: sorry for having given the impression that I was seriously trolling Sku. It's true that I like to give him shit from time to time but I would have hoped the second half of my comment would have made it clear that I didn't mean the first half at all seriously: I tried there to account seriously for what is now becoming a consistent divergence in Sku and my tastes in Calvados. I didn't actually mean to say that his taste is questionable whereas mine is good (even though 83% of those polled say this is true).