Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Baker's Bourbon


With the rush to to buy new releases before they're sold out, it's easy to forget that there are lots of bourbons that are readily available.  I always enjoy a chance to go back and try one of these, especially if I haven't had it for a long while.  Baker's Bourbon, of course, is part of the Jim Beam small batch collection which includes Knob Creek, Booker's and Basil Haden. Unlike some products, Baker's age and proof haven't changed; it remains seven years old and 107 proof and is made using the standard  (lower rye) Jim Beam mashbill.

Baker's Bourbon, 7 yo, 53.5% abv ($40-$45)

The nose has really nice rich oak notes with bubblegum and peanuts (like a day at the circus).  The palate has savory oak notes and wood spice; it's slightly minty and quite complex.  The finish has dry oak on the nose and sweet toffee on the palate.

To say I haven't been a huge fan of Beam products would be an understatement.  Lately, even old favorites that I've revisited, like Booker's or Old Grand-Dad 114, have seemed to be in decline.  Baker's, however, was actually much nicer than I remembered, with more oak and more complexity.  It's definitely worth a second look.


4 comments:

Lazer said...

Something to sip while watching old episodes of Seinfeld or listening to the Rolling Stones.

Anonymous said...

I think you need to give OGD 114 another chance. You must have gotten a bad bottle.

sku said...

Anon, that's certainly possible. I've always liked it in the past, but it had been a while when I had that sample.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see a Bourbon that has kept the age statement. As for the taste, I find it to be spicy and sweet with just the right mouth tingle.