Monday, November 11, 2013

Binny's Kilchoman


For years, Kilchoman has been the craft whiskey start-up with the most potential.  The Islay distillery that opened in 2005 has already gotten rave reviews from everyone, but while I've liked some of their expressions, they are all very young and still have some rough edges.

Recently, though, I tasted one that was by far my favorite of the Kilchomans I've had.  A Binny's exclusive, this Kilchoman is not quite five years old and aged in a first fill bourbon cask.

Kilchoman 4 year old Binny's Exclusive,  Cask No. 307/2007,  Distilled 11/1/2007, Bottled 9/15/2012, Aged in a Bourbon Cask, Cask Number 307/2007 ($80).

The nose is a really beautiful Islay nose with peat and coastal breeze.  The palate has smoke and sea water with a bit of a tanginess to it and some mezcal notes that I typically get with younger Islays.  The finish is pure peat.

This is a bold and beautiful Islay Scotch, and the good news, as of now, it's still in stock at Binny's.

3 comments:

sevens said...

I really love kilchoman's style. Have you tried any of their sherry cask offerings? Loch gorm or a private bottling? Any thoughts?

sku said...

I tried the Loch Gorm which was okay but it tasted a bit diluted. I definitely prefer this one.

sevens said...

I didn't get chance to taste loch gorm but NY distributor Martin Scott has a 2006 sherry cask cask strength version that I like. Would love to see what you think of it. Email me if you are interested in sample. Sev.clemens@gmail.com.