Thursday, November 21, 2013

You Can't Catch Me: Abraham Bowman Gingerbread Beer Finished Bourbon


No, this is not the newest flavored whiskey concoction.  It is, however, the newest release from the Abraham Bowman special release series.  A. Smith Bowman, in Virginia, is owned by Sazerac Company, which also owns the Buffalo Trace and Barton Distilleries in Kentucky. Their bourbons are distilled once at Buffalo Trace, then shipped to Bowman for second distillation and aging there.  They use both of the Buffalo Trace rye recipe bourbon mashbills but never say which mashbill is used for which bourbon. 

This particular bourbon was finished for two months in Bowman bourbon barrels that had been previously been used to age Hardywood Brewery's Gingerbread Stout (touted as aged in bourbon barrels - ah, the barrels that keep on giving).  It was further aged in bourbon barrels after the beer barrel aging.  I don't know that I've ever had a whiskey aged in beer barrels before, so let's give it a shot.

Abraham Bowman Gingerbread Beer Finished Bourbon, 7yo, 45% ($70)

The nose has a very strong rye component with pine notes. The palate has some bourbon sweetness up front but then a definite beer influence.  There's a malty, cereal grain profile that tastes like, well, beer - malty and a bit bitter.  That malty note dominates the finish as well.  For two months of finishing, there is a surprising amount of beer influence on this.  It's almost like a boiler maker in a bottle.

Does it work?  There's a bitterness to those beer notes that's a bit strong late in the palate which puts it a bit out of balance.  Overall, I'd say it's worth tasting, but I'm not sure I would want an entire bottle of the stuff.


14 comments:

Wm Gemmell said...

I was wondering how much of an influence the beer casks would have. "Boilermaker in a bottle." Interesting. They just announced a 12-year-old Port finished Bourbon. Looking forward to trying that.

Anonymous said...

Charbay doesn't work either. Perhaps finishing in beer casks and gaining a hops note isn't the best idea....

sku said...

Anon, I'm a huge fan of Charbay's hopped whiskeys. This is a different flavor note, much more like beer was added than the hopped note of Charbay.

jeremy said...

After visiting the distillery, they told us while Sazerac is the owner all of their juice was distilled in house. According to them the only thing not done onsite was shipping aged juice up to Baltimore to be bottled as Virginia Gentleman.

sku said...

Jeremy, who told you? You have to be careful with what tour guides say. Also, what does "distilled in house" mean? There's no doubt that they distill everything in house, but from what I've always been told, most of that is a second distillation of whiskey that was initially distilled at BT.

jeremy said...

Our guide, Bill. I don't remember his last name but he is pictured on their FB page. You are right, what he told me may have been "technically" true based on the way I asked the question.

Rabbi Charles Arian said...

I visited there too. They don't have facilities for mashing and fermentation but they don't actually tell you that, but they don't outright lie if you know what to ask. They did tell us they truck juice to be bottled in Baltimore as Virginia Gentleman and all the Bowman lines are bottled in house.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon, which is finished in former bourbon barrels that were used to finish their Dragons Milk stout? It's very beery. I love it, but it's probably not for everyone.

sam k said...

The guide's name is Bill Jones. He was our tour guide in February, and was pretty new at the time, but well-versed in the operation already.

He was very up front about the fact that Bowman receives twice-distilled spirit from Frankfort, then re-distills it in-house to produce their bourbon. They do have plans to add mashing and fermenting capacity in the future, no surprise from the innovators at Buffalo Trace.

I'm a fan of Virginia Gentleman, and the regular Bowman releases, especially John J. I'm waiting to open my gingerbread-finished over the holidays!

Mark said...

Hardywood's Gingerbread Beer works as beer, but I'd imagine it being a little to wackadoo if you aged bourbon in that barrel. It's just got too much going on (milk stout, all the spices, etc...)

I haven't been able to get my hands on New Holland's Beer Barrel Bourbon, but that beer strikes me as being much better suited for this process.

Kevin said...

What Sam said, ASB get's twice distilled white dog from BT and distills it a third time in their copper pot/reflux still.

I like the Gingerbread Bourbon as it's different. It really smacks you upside the head (in a good way).

The new 12 year old Port finished is now out and its really good a s well

sam k said...

Kevin, I've got an order in with my Richmond connection for the port finish. i also picked up a Party Source single barrel John J. 14 year old in May, on top of a couple of other Bowmans This might require a deep vertical tasting soon!

Jeremiah said...

Jumping on with the other tour takers; the woman who took me has been on staff their for many years and stated clearly that the mashing and fermentation was done at BT but all distillation done on site.

On the beer finished whiskey, the new holland leaves me pretty cold, but I absolutely love the Bowman. My palate certainly isn't as sophisticated as some, but I know what I like, and there are several bottles of the gingerbread beer finished stuff stashed downstairs.

sam k said...

Having popped open the gingerbread finish on Christmas Eve, along with three other Bowmans, the gingerbread was the clear favorite, and, I thought, a delightful whiskey.

Delicate baking spices complement a lighter bodied whiskey than the standard John J. I really liked this one, and am glad to have scored a bottle!